I love Christmas. It’s just that over the decades, a few things that come with the holiday are now taxing my tolerance and spirit. I’m trying hard, really hard, to focus on what still works for me.
Here are 7 things I like, in no significant order:
1. Carols, hymns, the religious story and celebration. (OK, that’s four things in point #1. I’m cheating.)
2. Christmas trees – fresh ones
3. Fresh, fluffy snow, but not blizzard-level
4. Sweet indulgences: cookies, etc.
5. Small parties featuring memorable people, food and wine
6. Gifts that surprise and delight the recipient (i.e., me)
7. Clever, amusing holiday cards (Thanks, Inky! You made my Christmas with your “normal family” photo.)
This list is nice, predictable, traditional and therefore not worth discussing here.
The other list, the scrooge-y one, is a different story.
Here are the top 5 things that make me want to file my teeth into points and indulge in lots of X-rated language. XXX words always improve my mood. Continue reading How to Keep Your “Bah Humbug” Humming